Thursday, February 26, 2015

Equations

Today, during a double block of sixth grade math, I tackled equations. First, there was a DO NOW that comprised of simplifying 4 expressions using the distributive property. The students had to show me the solution 3 different ways. I had them draw and model algebra tiles, the rectangular area model, and the regular way (with the arrows). 

Secondly, I briefly went over and reviewed the Properties of Mathematics with them. We went over how these apply to algebra.

And finally, we dove into Equations. This involved using the algebra tiles one more time. I went over the Golden Rule of Algebra about 5 times throughout the day. I explained a few problems, we all did the problems together, then they worked in small groups to practice the new skill. I then pulled them all back together and demonstrated how to use INVERSE OPERATIONS  to solve a few more problems. The students returned to their groupwork to finish the rest.

I really enjoy and like working during a math block. It seems that during a regular period, once the class gets rolling and picking up steam, it is time to stop. Even if they are only a couple of times a week, it is better than nothing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment